Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Daily Mass Readings and Reflection on July 22nd, 2026


First Reading (Option I): Song of Songs 3:1–4b

"I found him whom my heart loves."

First Reading:  (2 Corinthians 5:14–17)

Responsorial Psalm: (Psalm 63:2, 3–4, 5–6, 8–9)

Response: For you my soul is thirsting, O Lord my God.

Gospel Acclamation

Alleluia, Alleluia.

Tell us, Mary, what did you see on the way? I saw the glory of the risen Christ; I saw his empty tomb.

Alleluia.

Gospel: (John 20:1–2, 11–18)

Reflection

Today's Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene invites us to reflect on a simple yet profound question: How much do you love God?

Mary Magdalene is often misunderstood. Scripture does not identify her as Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, nor as the sinful woman who anointed Jesus' feet in the house of the Pharisee, nor as the woman caught in adultery. Rather, Mary Magdalene was a woman from Magdala who had been delivered by Jesus from seven demons (Luke 8:2; Mark 16:9). Transformed by His mercy, she became one of His most devoted followers.

Her life reveals what it truly means to love God with all one's heart, mind, soul, and strength.

First, after experiencing Christ's healing, she left behind her former life and became a faithful disciple. God's mercy changed her completely, making her a living example of the new creation described by St. Paul.

Second, Mary Magdalene did not merely follow Jesus; she generously supported His ministry with her own resources (Luke 8:1–3). Genuine love for God always expresses itself in generous service.

Third, when many fled in fear, Mary remained at the foot of the Cross. Her love was courageous and steadfast, remaining faithful even in the darkest hour.

Finally, she was the first to visit the tomb before dawn, driven by love stronger than fear. Because she sought Christ with all her heart, she became the first witness of His Resurrection. Pope Francis fittingly called her the "Apostle to the Apostles," for it was she who first proclaimed to them, "I have seen the Lord."

Like the bride in the Song of Songs, Mary sought the One whom her heart loved until she found Him. Like the psalmist, her soul thirsted for God above everything else.

Today, she asks each of us:

  • Do I truly thirst for God?

  • Do I seek Him even when life is dark and uncertain?

  • Am I willing to give Him my time, my talents, my resources, my heart, my mind, my strength, and my will?

The greatest evidence of our love for Christ is not simply what we say, but how faithfully we follow Him each day.

May Saint Mary Magdalene teach us to seek Jesus with unwavering devotion, remain faithful through every trial, and boldly proclaim Him to the world with joyful hearts.

Saint Mary Magdalene, Apostle to the Apostles, pray for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment