Monday, August 3, 2026

When Your Credit Score Drops and FICO Drops Too


For seven straight months, my credit score sat just a few points shy of perfection, stable, predictable, almost boring. Then yesterday, out of nowhere, FICO slapped me with a 28‑point drop. No late payments. No new debt. Nothing dramatic. My score was still exceptional, but the sudden dip made no sense.

I kept replaying the timeline in my head, wondering what invisible switch had flipped. And then today, I saw the headline: FICO stock downgraded, trading more than 7% down at one point. The timing was uncanny. My score drops, their stock drops, back‑to‑back. I couldn’t help but wonder if the universe was trying to tell me something.

But here’s the truth behind the mystery: the culprit wasn’t FICO, Wall Street, or some cosmic payback. It was me, or more specifically, the account I closed recently. Closing an account reduces your total available credit, which bumps your utilization ratio and triggers a mechanical scoring adjustment. No emotion. No judgment. Just math.

Still, the coincidence was wild. One day my score dips, the next day FICO dips. Two unrelated systems moving in opposite directions, crossing paths for a moment, just long enough to make me look twice.

Sometimes life throws you a plot twist with perfect timing. And sometimes it’s just a closed account and a downgraded stock moving through the same week.

So that's it and I thought this required a blogpost. 

Take care

Pal Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment