Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Time and Traffic: A Saturday of Farewells and a Deep Reflections

On Saturday, October 12th 2024, the Ghanaian community in the Tri-State area came together to mourn the loss of Brother Raymond Kuuchi, a fellow Ghanaian and beloved family man in Newark New Jersey. 

He was a corporal with the Newark Police Department. RIP brother. 

To my surprise, I discovered that the late brother Raymond was also related to my uncle’s wife, Aunt Juliana Faatah, who now lives in Ohio with my uncle Paul and the family. Upon hearing the news about the funeral arrangement, she made some swift plans to fly into Newark Liberty International Airport on Friday. Though I had to work that day, I was determined to join and support her on Saturday for the funeral service at Christ Assembly Lutheran Church on 664 Broadway in Newark. 

While I am currently based out in Patchogue, East of Long Island for a work assignment, I knew I had a bit of a journey ahead, but I was committed to being there to support her.

As I checked the trip on Google Maps, I noted that it would be a two-hour drive, and since it was Saturday morning, I didn’t anticipate much traffic. In my optimism, I completely overlooked the reality of the weekend tourism and the unpredictable beast that is the New York City traffic. What should have been a manageable two-hour journey quickly unraveled into an ordeal three hours of crawling through traffic jams. At one point, I sat still for over an hour in the middle of Manhattan. As the minutes ticked away, I realized I was going to be too late. By the time I finally arrived, the service and burial were both over. 

I felt a pang of disappointment, but I was grateful to still make it just in time for the repast. My aunt's return flight to Ohio was scheduled for 4:45 PM, so after brief but heartfelt greetings, we had to leave almost immediately. I took her to the airport, and a journey that should have taken 25 minutes stretched into nearly 40, thanks to the unrelenting traffic. It was another reminder of the congestion that defines life in this region. 

When we arrived at Terminal C, we were more than 30 minutes early, which gave us a little time to breathe. I parked at the main entrance with my hazard lights on, and we walked in together. As we approached the check-in counter, a kind young woman greeted us, though she seemed surprised by our timing. "Why are you so late?" she asked with a concerned smile. We explained that it had been a battle with traffic, and she reassured us that she would do her best to check my aunt in. Despite her efforts, she tried twice but told us it was already too late. I was shocked, how could we be considered late when we arrived more than 30 minutes ahead of schedule? It was then that I thought to myself, "I need to write about this." The nature of traffic in the Tri-State area is something else entirely, almost as if it exists on a different planet. It was clear at this point that I was worn out by the traffic, mentally. 

The biggest lesson I learned that day is simple: when planning anything in this area, especially to catch a flight, give yourself at least two extra hours. No matter how early you think you are, NYC traffic has a way of challenging your expectations. Fortunately, my aunt was able to secure another flight after 6 PM, avoiding the misfortune of completely missing her trip back to Ohio. Though her plans were disrupted, I was relieved to hear later that evening that she had arrived home safely. We even shared a video call with my cousins, Hilda and Louisa, which brightened my evening.


The first picture above: in the middle is Aunt Julie, next to her is Mr. Francis. No intro needed for me.

Interestingly, amid all the chaos at the airport, I encountered a dear friend, Benson Matthew, whom I hadn’t seen in over five years. Ben and I worked together at White Plains Hospital over five years ago, where I knew him as a hardworking member of the transport department while he attended nursing school. Over the years, he worked his way up, eventually becoming an assistant manager. To my surprise, Ben shared that he has now returned to radiology from management. It was serendipitous to meet him in such a bustling place, and even more surprising to see him with his new wife by his side. They were on their way to Italy for their honeymoon. It was wonderful to catch up, however briefly, and to congratulate him on his recent marriage. The funny thing is, I had randomly called Ben just a couple of months ago, and planned on calling him again as he was at an event and couldn’t talk but life got in the way. Now, I know I’ll definitely reach out to him soon. After the honeymoon, Ben, we have got to catch up. 

After I dropped my aunt off and bit her farewell I headed to Rockland to visit family before making the drive back to Long Island. This entire day did reinforced an important lesson: when traveling in the Tri-State area, always allow yourself more time than you think you’ll need. Traffic here is unpredictable and often overwhelming, and it can easily turn a well-planned schedule into a stressful scramble.

That was my most recent experience. What about yours? Is traffic as unpredictable in your area as it is here? Let me know in the comments below. 

God bless, and safe travels to all wherever you are headed.


I remain your Pal,

Ronnie Law


No comments:

Post a Comment