Monday, September 23, 2024

Test! Test! Test! One of the Key Constants of Life (k) as in Math

Life is one giant test and we get tested every step of the way throughout our lives on this planet. 

All  that thought got me wondering a lot about life and it really looks like everything we do in this life revolves around tests of different kinds. 

Today marked the beginning of a three-month long contract at Long Island Community Hospital on Long Island for me. It is small but bustling hospital in the East of New York. Before getting started with everything this morning when we started, we were given a test on EPIC EMR software. This wasn’t just a routine task; it was a test to specifically measure our proficiency of the electronic documentation software giant. The stakes were clear: if you didn’t pass, you’d have to attend a grueling nine-hour live class on Wednesday the 25th 2024. This was not hard but the sitting and daunting repetitive work was something I couldn't imagine doing.

Anyone who knows me understands I hate sitting still over a long period of time. In fact, I’m still amazed how I managed to sit through hundreds of hours of lectures in college. When I learned about the consequences of failing this test, I was determined to avoid that nine-hour pain of sitting at all costs. I sat down, did my best, and hoped that I wouldn’t have to suffer through what I imagine is a torturous day of lectures and software training.

At around 1 PM, the results were finally in. Our instructor came in and told me and others that we passed. I let out a sigh of relief, but I couldn’t help but feel sorry for my colleagues who didn’t make the cut and now face nine hours of training. My empathy was activated but I couldn't help.  

However, this experience got me thinking deeply: life is full of tests. From the day we’re born to the day we die, we are constantly tested in one way or another. The fear of failure often looms large over many of us, and it can cause anxiety, even hysteria, especially when we feel unprepared.

In college, I didn’t fail many tests, but I certainly had a few I didn’t do as well on. There’s something about the anxiety that tests provoke. I know I feel it when I have to take a test I was not ready for. The trick for me has always been to approach tests taking like a game, a challenge to be beaten, like playing an online game where the stakes are high but the strategy is simple.

But not all tests are the same.

While academic or job-related tests can be retaken, the ones that truly hit home are medical tests. These tests often come with life-changing consequences. I’ve seen patients and even colleagues go through a whirlwind of emotions, waiting for the results of medical tests that could drastically alter the course of their lives. It’s a different kind of anxiety, one that doesn’t go away after you leave the exam room. The outcome of a medical test could lead to a diagnosis that reshapes your future, unlike any test for a promotion or certification.

For instance, I had a friend who once confided in me about how he consistently failed his drug tests anytime he was about to get a job. He knew he wouldn’t pass, yet he couldn’t stop the root cause of that failure. His addiction was overpowering, and no test could change that. The results could almost always be predicted. This was a battle far more significant than any academic test, the test that alters life itself. Addictions are demons many of us face, and failing a drug test only adds to the burden.

So, why do we put so much weight on tests?

Is it because they serve as an easy metric for evaluation? Personally, I’ve never believed tests are the best measure of intelligence or skill. Ever met a very intelligence, high scorer of tests who couldn't engage in coherent logical conversations? I do. Tests can certainly tell you what you know at a particular moment, but they don’t account for creativity, emotional intelligence, or perseverance. I could be wrong but hey, my opinions are all mine in Ronnie's World. 

But I want to know, what about you? How have you handled test-taking anxieties in the past, present, and even what you anticipate in the future?

Drop me a comment — I’d love to hear your stories.

Caio!

Yours Pal, Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment